This is my last semester at the University of Illinois. Like so many graduates this semester, I want to remember the memories I made on campus, particularly the Spring 2016. Furthermore, I also want to use this opportunity to fulfill my third goal of of my Personal Development Plan I created for my GE 361 Emotional Intelligence Class.
While this semester proves to be challenging (with 22 credits overload), I try to record what I am grateful for throughout the semester.
January 7: My Birthday
- I am so thankful to have such a wonderful family, especially my mother, who have prepared such a feast for my birthday.
- I am thankful that both of grandmothers are here to celebrate my 20th birthday with me.
- I am thankful that my nannies cook my favorite dish, the Thai noodle salad.
- I am grateful that my father is enjoying the day, since he is stressed over his current political campaign.
- I am thankful for the newly furshied house that completed in time for my celebration.
January 17: Exploring Chicago with Nick
- I am grateful that my mother allowed me to stay over in Chicago and even gave me extra allowances to spend there.
- I am thankful that Nick came to pick me up at the airport and carry my luggages.
- I am thankful that the Lawrence Fish Market allowed both of us to dine at the store and served us fresh and delicious sushi.
- I am grateful that the Shedd musuem had the new exhibition, the Underground Exploration and I was able to enjoy it.
- I am grateful for the Uber services and the friendly drivers, so that I did not have to brave the harsh winds back to the AirBnB house.
January 27: Hang out with CCI homies
- I am thankful that Kefu and Seung Han invited me out for a gathering of the CCI volunteers.
- Even though all the volunteers were not initially close with one another, all of them showed up that day.
- I am grateful that everybody was spontaneous and spent their time together to play Jenga.
- I am grateful that we got the biggest table to play Jenga and that the store owner did not call us out for making a lot of noise.
- I am grateful that I have a close friendship with my CCI “homies” and that they feel the same about me too.
January 28: Pitch my topic on Mindfulness to AGED 480 Class
- I am grateful that my mother pushed me out of my comfort zone to pitch the topic of mindfulness.
- I am grateful that Tiffany, my course instructor of AGED 480, accept my late submission of my pitch PPT.
- I am grateful that my classmates were engaged during my presentation and even laughed along at my jokes.
- I am grateful that Sarah, Ari, Jorden, Mayank and Harsh trusted in me and joined my team at the end of class.
- I am grateful that I was able to initiate a project I am enthusiastic about.
February 9: CNY Potluck with Alex & Fiona
- I am thankful that Alex and Fiona invited Nick and I to celebrate with them for their Chinese New Year (CNY).
- I am grateful that both of them ordered a lot of food (lots of meat) for the party.
- I was scared at first that it would be awkward to hang out with Alex, Fiona and their friends. However, they were all very welcoming and they shared many personal stories with me.
- I am grateful that Fiona’s friends were very fun. They shared similar interests as me and we were able to have a chat ober the new Chinese drama.
- I am grateful that all of us stayed after the dinner to play a new game “One Night”, which is a mystery game.
February 12: Nirvana in Fire & Wang Kai fever
- I am grateful that my Chinese teacher recommended a new drama, Nirvana in Fire, for me to watch because it is a superb show. The production quality was over the top and the cast, especially Wang kai, were amazing.
- I am thankful that I did not have much homework this weekend so I was able to watch the drama
February 20: TSA Potluck
- I am thankful that many Thai people showed up for our potluck, even when P’Nam and P’Auy have graduated.
- I am thankful that the Thai seniors helped to convince the the younger Thai people to join the new committee and that Poon was willing to step up as the new President.
- I am thankful for the YMCA resident for opening the door for us.
- I am thankful for the fun we have and to have such a supportive TSA committee to work with.
- I am thankful that P’Ohm gave me a ride home afterwards.
February 27:Global Chicago Networking
- I am grateful that Un yeong and the team waited for me even though I showed up late.
- I am grateful that the volunteers listened to my instructions during the event and many of them performed duties well. Phuong took an initiative to reformat the coat check arrnagement and that helped us tremendously during coat check time.
- The alumni were very friendly and they were willng to share their experiences.
- I am grateful that many participants helped to clean up aftwerwards.
- I am grateful that Un Yeong safely drove us to Chicago and back to Champaign. We were able to sleep on the way back. He must have been tired, but he did not complain at all.
March 4: P’Joy presentation at TSA
- I am grateful that Poon stayed on top of his responsibilites and were able to arrange for a dinner with P’Joy.
- I am grateful that P’Jeab, the owner of the Thai Basil restaurant, sat with us during dinner and helped brightened up the mood with her jokes.
- I am grateful that P’Joy was very friendly and was not scary to talk to at all.
- I am grateful that the Thai seniors were forgiving towards the committee when we announced the time change at the last minute.
- I am grateful for the people who asked questions towards the end of P’Joy’s presentation.
March 7: Accepted to Harvard
- I was so thankful for my advisors, mentors, instructors, parents and all who support me throughout my application process. P’Jinny and Jonathan were very helpful as they helped me out with the editing and providing feedback from the very first draft to the last day before the submission deadline.
- I am grateful for my guardian angel who helped made this process as smooth and easy as possible.
- I am grateful that my parents were very supportive and understanding of my education choice. I can never arrive at this point of my life, without their endless support and love.
- I am grateful that my friends took this news positively and they were also happy for me as well.
March 16: Engagement Symposium 2016 at i-Hotel (with Sarah)
- I am grateful that Tiffany offered this chance for us to make up credit credit for the class.
- I am grateful that Sarah offered me a ride to the i-Hotel because it was very far away from the main campus.
- I am also grateful that I had Sarah around when I was at the symposium. Having her around was very assuring and made the experience more fun.
- I am also grateful that the people whom we talked to were enthusiastic about their project and welcomed us to their booths.
- I am grateful that the symposium provided us with a buffet and a variety of desserts!
March 17: Got my official first business card!
- I am grateful that there was a place nearby the univerisity that could provide fast printing of business card.
- I am grateful that my mother helped me choose the best design for my card and made sure that everything looked professional before I had them printed.
- I am grateful that Sarah gave me a ride to the store after class.
- I am grateful that the cards turned out professional and of good quality.
- I am grateful that I have my own business cards to give to people.
March 19: Harvard Reception @ Chicago & Art Institute of Chicago visit
- I am grateful that I have Jinwen with me who knew the way to the reception.
- Having Jinwen at the reception was very comforting as I was initially overwhelmed by how impressive the alumni were.
- I am grateful that the alumni opened up warmly to us and shared many valuable tips they found useful at Harvard.
- I am grateful that my mother also allowed me to stay at Chicago for a few days after the reception.
- I am grateful that the event ended well and I was able to get the contact information from both the alumni and the admitted students.
April 3: Mindfulness Event “WorkTreat” organized by Feeding Your Body and Mind team
- I am grateful that many people turned up for the events and most of them stayed with us throughout the four hours.
- I am grateful that Jorden picked up the cushions for us on Sunday.
- I am grateful that to have all our instructors present at the workshop and nothing bad happen during the event.
- I am thankful towards my members whose supports allowed me to teach Eating Mindfulness without much worry.
- I am grateful that I had a chance to practice Eating Mindfulness for my GE 361 class.
April 9: Chiang & Dad & Na Krit’s Ordination
- I am thankful that my father finally understand the importance of his Ordination and made the decision to become the monk, even if it was for two weeks.
- I am thankful that all my relatives came to support my father and my brother, Chiang, for their ordination. My paternal grandmother was initially against it, but she eventually granted my father and my brother permission.
- I am thankful that my uncle, Na Krit, found the courage and the determination to turn over the new leaf and have a fresh start in his life.
April 14: Kimiko and Atis in Chicago
- I am thankful that my friends in Psyc 437 were understanding of my situation and so I was able to postpone the group meeting and head to Chicago.
- I am thankful that Kimiko and Atis flew over to Chicago and we three had the time to hang out with each other.
- Truthfully, I miss them a lot since we last saw each other two years ago and I was grateful for the three days I had with them.
- I am grateful towards Atis’s sister for spending time with us and help me avoid feeling like a third wheel between Atis and Kimiko.
- I am grateful that Atis’s sister brought us to the delicious places in Chicago and even paid for our transportation fees.